1 idyllically calm and peaceful; suggesting happy tranquillity; "a halcyon atmosphere"
2 marked by peace and prosperity; "a golden era"; "the halcyon days of the clipper trade" [syn: golden, prosperous]
1 (Greek mythology) a woman who was turned into a kingfisher [syn: Alcyone]
2 a large kingfisher widely distributed in warmer parts of the Old World [syn: genus Halcyon]
3 a mythical bird said to breed at the time of the winter solstice in a nest floating on the sea and to have the power of calming the winds and waves
- in classical legends, a bird said to nest on the sea and to calm the
waters to make this possible.
- undated — John Dryden,
- Amidst our arms as quiet you shall be As halcyons brooding on a winter sea.
- undated — John Dryden, (source?)
- a kingfisher
- A tropical kingfisher of the genus Halcyon, such as the sacred kingfisher Halcyon sancta of Australia.
Bird of genus Halcyon
- Spanish: alcedón
- 1787 — Alexander
Papers No. 30
- Reflections of this kind may have trifling weight with men who hope to see realized in America the halcyon scenes of the poetic or fabulous age.
- (undated)— Thomas de
- Deep, halcyon repose.
- 1919 — H.P.
Lovecraft, The City
- I had wander’d in rapture beneath them, and bask’d in the Halcyon clime.
Pertaining to the kingfisher
Halcyon (), a term that originates from the Greek myth of Alcyone, is used most often to mean golden or marked by peace and prosperity.
Halcyon may refer to:
- Halcyon, California, U.S.
- Halcyon Castle, a castle in Travancore, Kerala, India
- Halcyon Gallery, a group of three art galleries in the United Kingdom
- Halcyon House, a Georgian style home in Washington, D.C., U.S.
- Halcyon Monitoring Solutions, a company that monitors performance of computer systems
- The Halcyon Company, a film studio
halcyon in Slovenian: Halcyon
Saturnian, at peace, at rest, balmy, bloodless, blooming, blossoming, booming, bright, calm, clear, cloistered, concordant, cool, dwindling, ebbing, even-tenored, exuberant, fair, fat, flourishing, flowering, fruiting, going strong, hushed, idyllic, impassive, in full swing, in good case, isolated, mild, moldering, orderly, pacific, palmy, pastoral, peaceable, peaceful, peacetime, piping, placid, prospering, quiescent, quiet, reposeful, reposing, restful, resting, rosy, secluded, sequestered, sequestrated, serene, sheltered, sleek, smooth, soft, still, still as death, stillish, stilly, stoic, stolid, subsiding, sunny, thriving, tranquil, unagitated, undisturbed, unmoved, unperturbed, unruffled, unstirring, untroubled, vigorous, waning